Christmas Cheer and Change

What Makes Christmas Different This Year?

 

The Christmas season is hailed as being "The Most Wonderful Time of Year". Christmas is generally a memorable time, especially for families, and some memories are even repeated making them well loved traditions. Today I invite you to glimpse into my Pearlspective of Christmas, past and present.

Growing up, my family and I, my cousins, aunts, and uncles would all gather at my Grandma's house in Minnesota. There was an abundance of food: Grandma would cook the turkey and the best mashed potatoes I've ever eaten; one aunt would bring Snickers bar salad, aka heaven in a bowl; my other aunt would bring "Pistachio Pudding", which is a strange but tasty mixture of jello, coolwhip, pineapple, marshmallows, and nuts (presumably pistachio); my Mom would bring a tempting assortment of homemade pies. Uffda!

After we finished eating (too much), we all gathered in the living room where each grandkid would take a turn performing a Christmas song or recitation - no performance meant no presents. After the "concert", someone was sent to get Grandma's big Bible and the Christmas story was read aloud from the  second chapter of Luke. Finally we would exchange Christmas gifts, which somehow always managed to include new socks for all the grandkids.

After all the gifts had been opened, a privileged grandkid would get to collect the wrapping paper in a garbage bag; "Paper Collector" was a coveted title but thankfully, Grandma always knew to select a different grandkid each year. Eventually we would begin the hour long process of saying goodbye and bundling up to leave.

Those family gatherings are very special memories to me, socks and all, but time marches on and circumstances seem to change with the seasons. It's been many years now since we had a gathering of that nature, in fact, I rarely see my cousins at all anymore. After a brave struggle with cancer, my Grandma now spends her Christmas in the very presence of Jesus. I know I will join here there one day but I miss her greatly, especially during the Christmas season.

Christmas just isn't the same as when I was young. Perhaps you can relate.
However, I believe that Christmas is more than just a time to celebrate with family and eat (too much) delicious food. You see, it's not how  I celebrate that makes Christmas special, but why  I celebrate.


Why do I celebrate Christmas?

 

Because over 2,000 years ago, through a miraculous birth, God became man. The Creator of the Universe came to earth as a tiny baby. He was born, not in a palace or a castle, but in a humble stable. This baby, named Jesus, brought genuine hope and joy to the world by securing eternal salvation for all  who believe. That word "all" includes you and me! Because of Jesus' great love, we continue to celebrate his birth - a miraculous birth that was truly the greatest gift ever given!

What about your Christmas?


Does Christmas seem different for you this year? Perhaps it's because your traditions are changing with time, or maybe you're missing someone you love. I can definitely relate to that but I hope you, like I, can also take comfort in knowing that the reason we celebrate Christmas will never change with time. Jesus remains the greatest Christmas gift of all, and that will always be worth celebrating!

I'd love to hear about your Christmas memories in a message or comment below. Wherever you are this Christmas and however you celebrate, I sincerely wish you a Merry Christmas! TTFN!


Comments

Read These Top 5 Pearlspectives:

It's Just Time To Quit

Why I Stopped Calling Depression A Choice

Getting Pearlsonal - How the Harmonica Changed My Life

A Life Worth Living

Remembering Grandma, and the Longest Day of My Life (That Was Worth Every Minute)