Finding Your Dream Team in 2017

A Team Is a Family


Have you ever been on a team? If you answered no, you're probably wrong. In my Pearlspective, everyone has a team! There are several different types of teams to consider, such as sports teams, business teams, musical teams, perhaps even you and your relatives. A team is simply a group of individuals working together to accomplish a common goal.

Good teamwork produces good results, but in the process of working together you can form an almost indescribable bond - a bond of shared failures, successes, sorrows, and joys. Through it all you share a sense of pride to know that you are a part of that team and their endeavors, and as you witness each new achievement you proudly exclaim: "That's my team!!"

Now add music!


Last week, I had the opportunity to watch the season finale of Silver Dollar City's musical production of "It's A Wonderful Life". It's a show I've seen several times because I live nearby, but it was an incredible thrill to watch the season finale. After months of rehearsal and performing, this was the last thing this group of people would do together (at least for this year). Throughout the show, the cast was add-libbing right and left (yes, I know the script by heart) as a way of having a little fun with each other one last time.

On the final song, the cast was hugging and patting each other on the back, still in character but not in the normal choreography (yes, I have that memorized too). The actors were wiping tears as they sang. As they sang the last line I couldn't resist joining in (also memorized); I sang at the top of my lungs with tears in my eyes. I cheered loudly as they made their final curtain call, and when all of the stage-hands, tech crew, and ushers unexpectedly joined them on stage, I cheered louder still although I now had tears streaming down my face!


Photo Credit: James Haining

Why was this so emotional for me?


As I watched them sing the final song, I knew what I was seeing. A family was saying goodbye. As the actors slapped each other on the back it was as if they were saying "Way to go!", "Thanks for the memories!", and "I'll miss you", all at the same time. With every tear they wiped, though still singing perfectly, they were remembering one or all of the memories they had made with the people on stage with them. When the crew joined them on stage it was like a giant family portrait. It was beautiful and it was exciting, but it was also sad.

Because of my experience with my own band, I felt I could relate to so many of these feelings. I know what it's like to spend several hours working to technically perfect musical arrangements, and then take it to the next level preparing them for stage. I know what it's like to perform those arrangements and the feeling of victory that ignites when each band member correctly plays each note of each arrangement! It's an amazing feeling!!!!!!!

When the music ends...


As I watched the tears on the actors' faces and my own tears fell, I felt two things:
1. I shared their joy:
All these people had worked so hard for so long, and they were successful. Even though it was the end, it was a time of  immense celebration! I could relate to this so well, and as I sat there on the front row with almost 1,000 people behind me, the emotion of this excitement was overwhelming!

2. I shared their sadness: 
I watched them giving each other their final congratulations and I wondered, "What will this be like for me someday?" If all good things come to an end, what will I do when I sing my final song with our band? I can't answer that question yet because I honestly don't know, but as the music swelled one last time I couldn't help but think about it. I felt a sadness because I LOVE MUSIC and I think I would miss it extremely.

I also felt a tremendous sense of excitement for the future. If and when I say goodbye to this band, I can only guess what God will have in store for my future, but I'm excited about it already because God has promised "...all things work together for good to them that love God..."(Romans 8:28). Wherever I go and whatever I do, I will always be glad that I had this opportunity, right now, to be a part of this team. I love my family, I love making music, and I love making music with my family!

Who's on your team? 


Earlier this week, one of my blogging friends humorously referenced Costco, encouraging his readers to "dream big... to accomplish big things". That is great advice, and I'd like to add to it that you don't have to dream alone! Bigger dreams will bring even bigger results if you have more people and resources working together to fulfill them. Find your team and dream together!

Maybe you're an athlete and your team is comprised of your fellow athletes. Maybe you're not an athlete but your team mates are your coworkers, or band members, or spouse, or kids, or parents. Whoever they are, I hope you can take pride in your team and be thankful for the opportunity to work together, then dream big and work hard to accomplish great things in 2017. TTFN!

Comments

Read These Top 5 Pearlspectives:

It's Just Time To Quit

Why I Stopped Calling Depression A Choice

Getting Pearlsonal - How the Harmonica Changed My Life

A Life Worth Living

Remembering Grandma, and the Longest Day of My Life (That Was Worth Every Minute)