Why Is Growing Up So Hard? Your Worth Isn't Measured by Your Height

"You're growing up to be... so big, so smart, so cute, so much like any number of relatives...", and the list goes on. The phrase "growing up" has been thrust upon me since before I could talk. It was usually based on different adults' varying expectations of me, but it was never really explained.

I'm Too Little


Does the phrase "growing up" imply that wisdom or talent is acquired with height? I certainly hope not because if it does, I'm an idiot! Folks, I'm short. Period. In our current residence I can reach the bathroom faucet, but I have to stand on tiptoe to see my forehead in the mirror; at our house in Branson it's the other way around. My Grandma said I drank too much coffee (impossible) and it stunted my growth. If she's right - it was worth it! However, I don't think my height affects my intellect.



Well, if growing up isn't measured by height, then does it mean growing beyond our childish imaginations? Again, I hope not. In my Pearlspective, imagination is essential to success at any age; without it, we cannot begin to envision our potential beyond our current ability, and we would be far less likely to realize that potential. I hope I never get "too old" to imagine!

What Does "Growing Up" Really Mean?


I would suggest that unless the phrase "growing up" is immediately followed by a reference to height or age, it is perhaps not referring to physical growth at all, rather experience and maturity. The latter two can vary greatly depending on your individual circumstances.

I have no control over my age or height, and little control over most circumstances, but I have tremendous control over my response to all of the above. Maturity is not the automatic result of so-called "life experience", but if we learn to properly respond to the circumstances we encounter, and apply that knowledge to future situations, then maturity can be gained through that process.

Pearls Are Tiny!


That's the truth, folks. It's not just me, all pearls are tiny! Most pearls are not measured in feet or inches like I am; most pearls are measured in millimeters and even half millimeters yet they are considered to be extremely valuable. You see, size is not necessarily a symbol of superiority.

Little kids are always saying things like "I'm taller than you" or "you're shorter than me", but do you ever hear adults saying that to each other? I don't think I can recall a single instance of that, except maybe in jest. Why not? Because it's not important! Listen folks, human worth is not based on, or affected by, physical appearance.

Stand tall, regardless of your height.


Because of my height (or lack thereof) it is sometimes easy for me to feel childish or inferior. However, if I think I can't meet the requirements of growing up simply because of my height, then I am reaching for the wrong goal. The ultimate goal in life, as I see it, is this: to continually acquire and exercise maturity, by accepting and fulfilling responsibilities, to glorify God by serving others.

Are you little? Do you sometimes feel little or inferior because of your appearance or ability? Don't. Please don't! Don't let anyone, not even yourself, tell you that you are inferior. Do the best you have with what you have and with what you get. Keep doing that and don't get discouraged. Finally, as you're "growing up", don't stress out about "Adulting" because that's not even a word! More on that next week. TTFN!


Comments

Read These Top 5 Pearlspectives:

It's Just Time To Quit

Why I Stopped Calling Depression A Choice

Getting Pearlsonal - How the Harmonica Changed My Life

A Life Worth Living

Remembering Grandma, and the Longest Day of My Life (That Was Worth Every Minute)