Two Words That Girls Really Need Guys To Know

Dear Mr. Right,


There are two words you need to know. You probably won't find them on a piece of candy, and you won't hear them said very often, but these two tiny words will make a big difference in our relationship.

Image by Pixabay via Stockvault

I've heard a rumor going around that says the two most important words a guy needs to know are "Yes, Dear". I'd like to contradict that if you don't mind. If I ask you a question and the answer is affirmative, then those words might be pleasant and helpful, but beyond that they have little relevance to our relationship. The two words you really need to know are not "Yes, Dear", they are "I Do". If you and I understand the meaning of the words "I Do", then the words "Yes, Dear" can be nearly altogether forgotten. Let me try to explain.

My statement "I Do" is a commitment from me to you, wherein I am committing on my wedding day to love and respect you as my husband from that day forward. This commitment is not contingent on your making my dreams come true or granting my every wish. This commitment is contingent solely on the fact that you become my husband.


Please Don't Say "Yes, Dear".


I do not want a "yes man" for a husband. I do not want a fairy godfather or even a knight in shining armor (that sounds seriously uncomfortable). I want a leader whom I can respect and trust, and who will help me to love and serve God better. When I choose to call you my husband, I am not expecting you to make my life perfect (although you're certainly welcome to try). I am expecting you to become the leader of our home and family, trusting that you will look to God for wisdom and direction.

If I say I like something, or even that I want something, that doesn't mean you must buy it for me. Please don't! Financial stewardship is very important to me as it is crucial to the foundation of a family, so buying me everything that makes me smile will not necessarily make me happy. (Except coffee. You can always buy me coffee.)


Image by Brooke Cagle via Unsplash

How Can I Help You?


Just because you are the leader of our home does not mean I have no opinions or input to offer. I am quite willing to offer my opinion if it is asked for (sometimes even when it isn't), but if you ask for my opinion please be willing to listen to it. Also, please listen to what I say and don't reinterpret it based on your perception of my delivery.

That said, neither your asking my opinion nor my giving it obligates you to agree with it. I do not want to marry a mirror or a robot. You are entitled to your opinion and if you are confident of its truth and merit then I do agree to respect it and defer to it.


"If you want to make a woman feel secure,  

be a gentle, responsible leader..."


Now, if you have read this far, please know you did not just automatically qualify to be my "Mr. Right". There is an estimated 1 in 7.5 Billion chance that you did. I simply wanted to try to address this issue, since our society has so altered and misrepresented the role of a husband. If you are a man who wants to show a woman you care about her, please don't always say "Yes, Dear". That is not impressive.

If you want to make a woman feel loved and secure, just say "I Do". Promise and endeavor to be a gentle, protective, responsible leader, who looks to God  for strength and guidance. That is biblical, respectable, and desirable, and I am confident that God will bless it. 

Sincerely (probably not) Yours,
Pearl Haining

What do you think? Are you used to saying (or hearing) "Yes, Dear"? What would you say are the most important words to a relationship? Please comment below and let me know!

Comments

  1. I have to say that there are 5 little words that Have worked in our 50 some years of marriage - "You have to sleep sometime". Granted, they are uttered by my wife but they keep me in line quiet well:) As for the use of "yes dear" it work well if first I hang my head while softly saying it. Anyway, just some fun comments I have about Linda and I's 50 years of marriage:) You have a great blog. I love it. Happy Jim

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Read These Top 5 Pearlspectives:

It's Just Time To Quit

Why I Stopped Calling Depression A Choice

Getting Pearlsonal - How the Harmonica Changed My Life

A Life Worth Living

Remembering Grandma, and the Longest Day of My Life (That Was Worth Every Minute)