Still Not Quitting

Fear of change. Fear of failure. Doubt. Hesitation. Sound familiar?

Maybe that's because I talked about this at the beginning of this year. If you missed my most-read blog post, may I suggest you go catch that before reading on?

Photo by Nick Tiemeyer on Unsplash
At the time I wrote that, I was facing a very pivotal decision in both my career and my personal life. I wanted so much to quit and run away, to find a place with no risk and little responsibility, but I couldn't. The decision had already been made. So as I wrote that slightly ambiguous blog post, I was trying desperately to silence my fears because I had to move forward with that decision, with or without them.

I did move forward. Almost 9 months ago now, two of my siblings and I split off from a 14 year career with our family bluegrass band to forge a new path in our musical journey. It was frightening to effect a change that would affect both my family and my music in ways none of us could entirely predict. Even if we succeeded, it would be quite an adjustment!

Nevertheless, I and my family plunged into those uncharted waters - and survived, thanks to the support and prayers of some amazing friends, and the protection and direction of God! Working now as a trio, our band is recording and performing new music, and has met with very favorable responses.

The fears of "what if nobody likes it?" or "what if we fail?" have proven to be unfounded and I'm thankful that I didn't let them stop me. Our family dynamics have changed too, and mostly for the good because we are moving in the directions we need to be.

Perhaps the scariest parts of change are the unknowns. I'm finding that the things I can't see often frighten me, not because they are good or bad, but simply because I don't know what they are or what they will lead to. But change must take place if I am to grow. And growing must take place if I am to succeed at anything I aspire to do. I find comfort and courage in knowing that God sees far beyond my finite Pearlspective, and He promises to guide and protect me as I move forward.

I don't know what decisions you're facing. But if you know something is right, don't change course because of fear. Follow your convictions, and trust that it will work out. It will. It will work out.

Something else I talked about in my aforementioned (My sponsor should  pay me extra for that word. Too bad I don't have a sponsor.) most-read blog post was transparency. That's a tough concept for me because a lot of entertainers prefer privacy over transparency, and I've become conditioned to that mindset. Still, I can't help wondering, how can we learn from each other if privacy restrains us from honesty?

I want to expand on my use of transparency in some upcoming Pearlspectives, so please subscribe at the top of this page for forthcoming posts. Meanwhile, is there something new that you've taken on this year? How's it going for you and what are you learning? Please tell me via a comment below or a message! (click the orange dots on the home page to magically reveal the contact form)

Comments

Read These Top 5 Pearlspectives:

It's Just Time To Quit

Why I Stopped Calling Depression A Choice

Getting Pearlsonal - How the Harmonica Changed My Life

A Life Worth Living

Remembering Grandma, and the Longest Day of My Life (That Was Worth Every Minute)